MT & MT meet- 12/4/2008

After two weeks talking on the phone and emailing, Matt flew to Boston. The week before he was scheduled to arrive I got pink eye! Could there be a worse time?!! I was so distraught and worried that the first time I would see Matt I would have green gunk coming out my eye. Matt, as always, was super sweet and sent me this ecard:

This gesture made my heart melt and I was even more excited to see him.

I knew I was feeling something for Matt since our phone conversations were so enjoyable (well, except for that first phone call. Just don't ask Matt what he does unless you are prepared for the long answer :) I just didn't know how our connection would translate from the phone to in person. I'd never done something like this before. Would I think he was attractive? Was he really as tall as his profile said he was?


Does she have a hairy back? Is she really a he? Did she actually post a picture of her hot cousin? I'm not sure why I flew up to meet her the weekend before finals, but the adventure was too much to pass up.

It wasn't long before I found out the answer to all the above was YES!! I picked Matt up from the airport on 12/4/08, and haven't stopped feeling the butterflies ever since!

In case you were wondering where this picture was taken...this is from the back of a bus. Yes, she picked me up from the airport in a bus. Now I realize it is typically the man's job to provide transportation, but at least I would have picked a bus more suitable for us both...the short one.

For our first date, we ate dinner at PF Chang's followed by the Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony in the Boston Common. There was a show before the tree lighting featuring Brian McKnight. We enjoyed holding each other close since it was sooooooo cold, and singing Christmas carols together. I was immediately impressed by how well Matt could sing and how personable he was even to complete strangers. He had no problems striking up conversations with those around us and making us all laugh. That is indeed a talent.

The Christmas show was great all the way up until Mr. McKnight and his sons were performing. In the middle of a beautiful song one of his sons picked up an electric guitar for a solo, plucked the first string, and the power for the entire venue shut off. Complete darkness encompassed us until a shining light pierced the thick, black, blanket of night. A single red light, glowing like a beacon. Yes, it was Rudolf. No kidding. Rudolf was standing on stage with his nose all aglow saving Christmas once more. The entire place erupted into cheers and applause.


After the tree was lit, we headed over to Frog Pond to be humiliated by teenagers on skates.

And to show off my new, hot date.



I lost my glove while skating, so we walked to downtown crossing for some shopping :) Shopping with Matt is always an experience...

Merrit's strategic "losing her glove so we have to go shopping" was an insight about Merrit that I completely missed that night. And, by the way, the glove was not lost while skating. It was lost in the bathroom.

After shopping, we headed back to the Common to check out the newly lit Christmas Tree. Matt had been dying to kiss me all night (true story) and he finally got his chance as we admired the beautiful lights on the tree:) There were lights on the tree? There was a tree?

As we were walking back to my car, we ran into a group of firefighters who asked us to pose with their finger puppet Conky.

Conky is a Canadian television icon similar to Smokey the Bear. No two people are this excited to have their picture taken with a finger puppet. If you want the real story as to why we are smiling ask Merrit what she said just prior to this picture.

They were hilarious and it was a fun ending to a very memorable night!


Enjoy the video of Merrit on skates doing a twirl. I think it's her first time ever doing it.

0 comments: